Saturday 6 August 2011

First Aid Kit

My next task is to make sure that my first aid kit is complete. I'll need an array of plasters and blister things and bandages and gauze and the like of course. Far more interesting though is the recommended list of medications. Don't forget that at altitude water boils at a lower temperature so more bacteria will be in it. Offsetting this slightly is that there are generally less bacteria in colder/harsher climates.

The following is generally from the Lonely Planet Guide to Trekking in the Nepal Himalaya...

antibiotic eyedrops
ibuprofen
azithromycin 500mg. - broad spectrum antibiotic
clotrimazole 1% or miconazole 2% cream - antifungal cream
pseudophedrine - 10 tablets
Benadryl - 10/20 tablets
hydrocortisone cream 1%
loperamide (immodium) - I'll want plenty of this, what with the high altitude flatulence and all
fluconazole - 1 tablet - for yeast infections - almost inevitable given the hygiene facilities
ciproflaxin - 10 tablets  - good for urinary tract infections, respiratory infections, etc.
aspirin - helps with headaches particularly to thin the blood due to high altitude
vicodin - for real. If I'm in acute pain, i don't want to have to wait for rescue before I get pain relief
tinidazole - anti-parasitic for protozoan infections
diamox - helps to prevent altitude sickness

Now I just have to find a doctor to prescribe them for me!

1 comment:

Admin said...

i have mine that i think is the most Common Medical Equipments Found at Home. You can click that link if you want to view it. Hope my collection can be at help.

Regards,
Smith | custom shirts