Friday 24 June 2011

Dedication to Hut 6: Part Two

Thanks to Rachel E. Marshall, I can show y'all some photos of the interior of Hut 6. Can you imagine what a job it will be to restore that? Obviously it would be so much cheaper to tear it down or even to let it continue to collapse but then that's it, it's gone! And our chance to save this piece of history will be gone as well, it cannot be undone.

I think that's wrong. I think we should try to preserve the entire remaining grounds. We may have to repurpose the sturdier buildings for classrooms or small businesses (and frankly, how cool would it be to have your company based there? Hmmmm.) but the goal should be to preserve as much of it as we possibly can.

I saw an amazing example of this approach when I was in Germany the other week. My father was sooo disappointed as we drove around the small farming villages of his youth because the old saxon style cottages and farmhouses that he remembered were gone. And then we found the Museumshof  in Rahden. They took the finest examples of the old saxon cottages and moved them to form this museum. It's beautiful. They are such beautiful structures and it's so special that they've been saved and kept in context. Lovely.

Anyway, I'm exhausted from doing a very full day of work interspersed by climbing 9 flights of stairs every hour. But I do enjoy the fact that I don't break a sweat when I do it anymore. :-)

And I can't help but wonder what I'll do next year. South pole? Uluru?Vladivostock? Patagonia? This is a great way to force myself to stay in shape!

No comments: